As the typography of the piece suggest, this project was inspired by the Instagram application for the iPhone and it started to gain popularity in the photo-sharing community.
Fahrudi Salech decided to capture this trend in an artwork that shared the app’s vividness and uniqueness. He describes the whole project as “quite simple”, however he paid attention to all of the details to get exactly the look that he was after: “I think the hardest part was to choose the background colour, as I played around with it for almost four hours changing from white to red and through colours, but then I thought the yellow one was the most suitable colour to give a vivid look into the piece.”
The typography was created in Cinema 4D, but the majority of the work took place in Photoshop, with 80 per cent of the time taken on the project being spent in the Adobe app.
Fahrudi Salech describes his process: “I adjusted the dull colours of the 3D type using various adjustment layers, and the Dodge and Burn tools. Then, I started to make the ornaments for the type using Pen tool and used layer styles to build the colours and shadows. I made the reflections on the type using a lot of Pen tool and gradients. For the final tweaks I added a vintage camera, settled on a background colour and tweaked the result with adjustment layers.”
This is the base of the typography done in Cinema 4D and opened in Photoshop. The colours seems pretty dull here.
I’m starting to give the type base some adjustments to make it brighter and give a highlight to the type. I also add a red gradient background to add mood to the colour.
I’m starting to do a little background work and give more depth to the type using the Dodge and Burn tools.
Now it’s the ornament’s turn. I created the ‘swoosh’ ornament using the Pen tool and combined it with a Stroke path. I also gave it some shadow detail.
At this stage I want to change the background colour, since the red gradient one seems too dull. I play around with background mood and colour for almost three to four hours until get the perfect yellow one! Next, the ornament is finished. I used a layer mask to add the ornament’s inner shadow, then I started to create more details and highlights around the type to make the piece more vibrant! A vintage camera is added to finalise the layout.